A 28-Watt panel re-engineered to be lighter and smarter, the Nomad 28 Plus Solar Panel has the innovative technology to charge USB devices directly from the sun. Detachable kickstand for modularity and power-flow indicator ensure the best solar charging experience. Larger footprint allows for quicker charging for the Yeti and Sherpa power packs.
- Smart Charging for Phones and Tablets Features a dynamic auto-restart and smart electronics to charge phones, tablets and other USB-powered gear directly from the sun, even in cloudy conditions.
- Solar Intensity Indicator + Junction Box Take the guesswork out of charging from the sun. Easy-to-read LED indicator display strength of solar conditions and provides immediate feedback on the speed of charging.
- Waterproof and Modular Rugged, waterproof construction means power without worry. Removable kickstand provides optimum angle placement toward the sun.
- Auto Restart The Nomad 28 Plus features an auto restart that’s smarter than anything else on the market. With the ability to track power flow history, the Nomad 28 Plus knows the difference between a device that has reached a fully charged state and one that disconnects due to environmental causes, i.e. lack of sunlight, shadow, etc. When the latter is detected, the Nomad 28 Plus will automatically reconnect the charging device, no extra work on your part is needed.
HOW IT WORKS
Charging phones, batteries and other USB-powered devices from the Nomad 28 Plus is as easy as plugging in. Open the Nomad 28 Plus and face the panel toward the sun and check the Solar Intensity Indicator for current solar conditions. 2 or more lights, you're good to go. Then plug in your phone or recharger into the junction box and charge up.
All the cables you need to recharge Sherpa Power Packs and Goal Zero Yeti Portable Power Stations are included in the back of the Nomad 28 Plus. The same cable can be used to chain the Nomad 28 Plus with other chainable Nomad Plus and Nomad Solar Panels.
JUNCTION BOX + SOLAR INTENSITY INDICATOR
This is where the brains of the Nomad 28 Plus live. Several key components work together to ensure you have the best solar charging experience, including the Solar Intensity Indicator. These 4 LED lights are indicative of current solar conditions and give you an idea of how well your gear will charge.
Once you plug into the Nomad 28 Plus, the lights will blink in accordance with how fast your gear is charging. Think you should be seeing more lights? Try re-positioning the Nomad 28 Plus toward the sun and watch how the lights and speed of charge indicator change. The best charging scenario for phones and other USB-powered devices is 2 or more lights.
The Nomad 28 Plus's detachable kickstand allows you to be as lightweight as you need to be. Leave it attached with the magnets and it pops out to an optimal angle for positioning toward the sun. It also provides natural shade and a vented pocket for devices you have plugged in.
Chaining panels is a great way to collect more power from the sun and recharge devices quicker. You can chain up to 150W of solar panels together, that would be about five Nomad 28 Plus Solar Panels; however Goal Zero doesn't recommend more than four in a chain since there will be a loss of voltage over a long distance. The further the power has to travel through cables, from panel to panel, the more power you will lose.
Charges the following:
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Nomad 28 Plus Solar Panel Waterproof?
- Yes. We've gone to great lengths to ruggedize the Nomad 28 Plus; including beefing up the manufacturing process with advanced lamination techniques so it'll slough off rain and snow. However, if the junction box gets soaking wet, we recommend letting it dry out before plugging in.
Does the Nomad 28 Plus have a built-in battery?
- No. Goal Zero made the Nomad 28 Plus to be as modular and lightweight as possible, that meant selling batteries as an optional accessory. You can either plug your phone or device directly into the Nomad 28 Plus, or pair it with one of our rechargers to store power for later (like at night when you go inside). We recommend a Goal Zero Sherpa Power Pack or Yeti Portable Power Station with the Nomad 28 Plus.
How does the Solar Intensity Indicator work?
- Science. Goal Zero's engineers developed patent-pending electronic brains for the Nomad 28 Plus that ensures you have the best solar charging experience possible. Part of the electronics include an advanced current sensor (way better than a voltmeter) and unique maximum power point tracking (MPPT) charge controller to optimize the USB output. What you need to know is when conditions are right, you can plug a phone into the Nomad 28 Plus and charge it directly from the sun. You’ll know the conditions are right by checking out the Solar Intensity Indicator.
Is this chainable with other Nomad panels?
- Yes, but only on some Goal Zero Nomad Solar Panels. You can plug the Charge Cable into the chaining ports on older Nomad Solar Panels. The Nomad 28 Plus cannot be chained with the Nomad 7 Plus or Nomad 7 Solar Panels.